Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Each Bottle Tells a Special Story.

The other night we enjoyed a bottle of Monsanto Chianti Classico. This Riserva red wine consists of 90% Sangiovese, 7% Canaiolo, and 3% Colorino grapes. It was a beautiful Chianti and went very well with the lamb my husband made (he’s the cook around our house).

The winery recommends that you decant the wine for hours to eliminate its sediment. So we did. If you walked by the table where it was "resting", you could smell that we were in for a delightful drink. It had a sweet scent of herb flavors, soft tannins, and somewhat passionate cherry.

We had not had a bottle from this winery (Castello di Monsanto). Being curious, I looked it up so I could know more about them and when I fulfill my bucket list of going to Tuscany....I will make certain we find this winery. Here is what I read on wine.com:
In 1961 Fabrizio Bianchi, a successful textile manufacturer from Milan, purchased Castello di Monsanto and, in so doing, realized a long-held dream. Captivated by the beauty of Tuscany and convinced of the property's winemaking potential, Bianchi undertook the complete restoration of the vineyards and winery, while his wife, Giuliana, oversaw the restoration of the villa. Bianchi has relentlessly pursued the highest standards of quality, with particular emphasis on grape selection, natural vinification and a judicious use of technology.

I love wine for many reasons, but in particular, I love the history, art, and storytelling that goes into each bottle. This was a very good bottle and can be purchased for under $25.

Worth it.

Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment